Sticky Toffee Pudding.
Ingredients for the Pudding
• 150g/5oz dates, stones removed, chopped
• 250ml/9fl oz hot water
• 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 60g/2¼ oz butter, softened
• 60g/2¼ oz caster sugar
• 2 eggs
• 150g/5oz self-raising flour
For the toffee sauce
• 200g/7oz butter
• 400g/14oz brown sug
• vanilla pod, split
• 250ml/9fl oz double cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/370F/Gas 4.
2. Mix the dates, bicarbonate of soda and the water together and leave to soak for ten minutes.
3, In a clean pudding basin, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
4, Still stirring the butter mixture, gradually add the eggs, making sure they are well mixed in.
5. Still stirring, gradually add the flour, then add the date mixture.
6. Pour the mixture into a 20cm/8in square dish. Place into the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until cooked through.
7. To make the sauce, melt the butter in a thick bottomed pan over a medium heat.
8. Add the brown sugar, vanilla pod and cream and stir well. Simmer for five minutes.
9. To serve, spoon out a portion of the pudding onto a plate and pour over the hot toffee sauce